Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How to enable and find WinSCP ini file

I just updated my WinSCP from version 4.1.3 to version 4.3.9 and I noticed that the application did not read .ini file at the start up, or at least the ini file was not where I thought it would be.

Well, besides upgrading my WinSCP client, also my OS did change from XP to Win7, so I guess it is natural that the file locations do change also. But even after full hard drive search, I could not find any *.ini file related to WinSCP!

Luckily I was not the only person who tried to find the ini file, read related forum post from here (http://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11264).

So the correct steps to enable your old ini file with saved sessions for WinSCP (in Windows 7) is following:
  1. Launch your WinSCP
  2. Select from the menu at left "Preferences" -> then from right hand side "Preferences" -> then "Storage" from lower left -> then select "INI file (WinSCP.ini)" -> "OK" -> "Close"
  3. The "WinSCP.ini" file was created to your "virtual folder", which can be found from "c:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/WinSCP"
  4. Manually copy and paste (with text editor) the wanted sessions from old to new ini file
Note 1: The AppData folder is not visible by default, so change your folder settings to display hidden and system files.

Note 2: To make sure the new WinSCP works correctly, you need to copy&paste manually the sessions from the old Winscpxxx.ini to the new Winscp.ini



No comments: